Saturday Snapshot is hosted by Alyce of At Home With Books. It’s easy to participate – just post a picture that was taken by you, a friend, or a family member and add your link on Alyce’s site. Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.
My lil’ heart is in a year-round school, so we get a very short summer break. She was in school through 6/19, so we celebrated our first day of summer Wednesday by going to the local art museum, having lunch together and picking enough wild blackberries to bake a cobbler.
George Inness (1825-1894) Sunset on the River, 1867
William Merritt Chase (1846-1916) The Song, 1907
Mary Cassatt (1844-1926) Summertime, 1894
Theodore Robinson (1852-1896), World’s Columbian Exposition, 1894
Purple Echinacea and a cute little bug critter.
My lil’ heart making her own outdoor art. My favorite piece in the place!
“Our” wild blackberry bush
Our blackberry cobbler! Yummy!
PS – I’m currently on a mini-vacation, so I’m preparing this beforehand so I can hit “publish” and be done on Saturday. No Saturday Savings post this weekend.
I’ve been nominated for the Versatile Blogger Award by Twigs for Pigs! Check her out – she talks about life, books and photography! She nominated me a while back, but I’ve been crazy trying to catch up on all my to-do list, and am just now sitting down to read the rules.
After you are nominated, you thank the person who nominated you, (obviously) and link to their blog, then you in turn nominate 15 blogs that you are crazy about, blogs you like to read. Lastly, you tell the person who nominated you seven things about yourself. So, here are my seven things for Twiggy (and you can read along).
- I am dyslexic. It started out only affecting my numbers, then a few years ago, I noticed the consonants migrating on my papers. I can type an entire word with the consonants completely reversed. (and not on purpose!)
- I love doing genealogy research. I squint at old handwritten notes with dates and names, trying to figure out where they go, and who they married. I often call my mother to tell her about an obscure relative I found who overcame incredible obstacles, or traveled half-way around the world to live their dream.
- I use humor to shade the harder parts of life. I’d rather laugh through it than cry, although sometimes both can help.
- My dream job would be for someone to pay me to proofread books.
- I abhor talking on the phone. I would rather text or email, or better yet, visit with you in person. Phone calls are a bane. I only willingly talk on the phone when its someone too far away to visit in person.
- If I could have a super power, it would be to know people’s motives.
- If there really is a zombie apocalypse, I plan to live in a large tree house, like one of these. (I should start building now – it’s not like there is a downside to having a fabulous tree house, even if there is never a zombie apocalypse!)
Now for the fun part – I get to share 15 blogs that I enjoy for this same award! I hope you check them out, and if you like them, subscribe! These are listed in no particular order.
- JustBeingMichael - Michael is an old college friend of mine – he’s still my friend, still fabulous, and still funny. I miss him!
- Geninne’s Art Blog – Geninne is a freelance illustrator/designer and an amazing artist. I look forward to seeing her blog pop up in my inbox every day. She also has an etsy shop. I wish I could pay her to come decorate my whole house! This is one of my favorite pieces of her art -
- Books and Bowel Movements – Cassie writes this blog – she’s a reader, a perpetual student, and hilarious! I love her writing style, and I’m also sure that this is not the first nomination she’s received. We began being pen-pals during our “Month of Letters” in March of this year.
- To Love, Honor and Vacuum – this blog is written by author Sheila Wray Gregoire. Her subtitle is “Real Marriage. No Pretensions.” Sheila isn’t afraid to address those questions that some of us are afraid to ask, or voice to anyone other than our bestie or therapist.
- Brave Girls Club – This blog is co-written by sisters Kathy and Melody. It is a worldwide community of women who want to live the best, happiest, most productive and fabulously brave life they can possibly live…and that means something different to every single one of us. Some days just reading their Daily Truth Email brings tears to my eyes!
- The Daily Love – I was introduced to this blog by one of my very best friends, and have really enjoyed it. The Daily Love was started by Mastin Kipp in 2005 during his journey to find his true purpose. TDL blends wisdom with style, and reminds us that we are not alone.
- Forgotten Bookmarks – This blog is written by a rare book seller, who shares all the personal, funny, heartbreaking and weird things found in the used books that come to the shop.
- Sunflower Girl – (Because someone was going to have to set a bad example) Jennifer is a writer and photographer and a mother of four – four boys! I’m impressed that she survives each day with four boys under 13, much less that she survives to write and take pictures! :) Props to you, Jennifer!
- Filling the Well – written by author Carrie Vaughn. I love reading her books, and her main series is about a werewolf named Kitty. (Oh, the irony!) She also has other stand-alone novels, young adult novels and collections.
- Thoughts of You – This blog is written by Melissa, who I’m lucky to call both family and friend! She’s been on hiatus for a while, but I love her thoughtful/thought provoking posts, and am, in my oh-so-subtle-way, hoping to get her back to writing again. She has stuff in her soul that we need to read!
- Bermuda Onion’s Weblog – This blog is about books, food and movies. I am amazed at her consistency and content. I truly do plan to write/post about 5 times a week, but Kathy is able to write book reviews, coordinate book giveaways, interviews, photographs, etc. She is also a fellow World Book Night Book Giver!
- Peeking Between the Pages – Ironically Darlene and I first bonded over the TV Reality Show “The Bachelor”. We also share a love of books, and she also writes an amazing number of book reviews with tons of great giveaways.
- People I Want To Punch In The Throat – Jen writes in her “About Me” section that she’s a funny, negative, bitchy type of person, and that her blog is “meant to be funny and satirical. You don’t have to take me seriously, because I don’t take myself seriously.” I was turned on to her blog by a fellow elementary school home room mom, who shared Jen’s post about the Elf on the Shelf. I sat in the car line at school and laughed out loud! (I wish I could say I laughed my butt off, but it’s still there.) I enjoy her irreverent style, and love that she just puts out there things that most of us are afraid to say outloud (but still think to ourselves).
- Mosaic Art Source – This is a beautiful photo blog of different mosaic artists and their work. It’s the type of beauty that I could not hope to match creatively, and it just makes me smile that so much artistic talent is out there in the world for all of us to enjoy.
- Bookshelf Porn – This is a photo blog for book lovers. It showcases bookshelf photos from around the world. I have to admit that this blog makes me drool and turn green with envy. I don’t know that I could build a house big enough to hold all the bookshelves this blog makes me want to have.
I hope that you have found a blog or two that you like in this list of nominations! I would also love to hear of blogs that you have found that you think are fabulous. If you are one of my nominees, thanks for all that you share with me (and ever so many others), I love your work!